Next on my list of cheeses to try (as well as my bucket list for February) was Gouda.
Above you see the cheese fresh out of the brine.
Now what I noticed at this stage is that either the curds did not knit together properly, or that those marks are from my cheese cloth that was a little short and so I couldn't stretch it enough to make a smooth cheese.
As I am a total novice, I am not sure which it is and what the consequences of this might be, so I will soldier on.
What I am guessing is, that it could create air pockets in the cheese over time, or that it will make for a very crumbly cheese which Gouda shouldn't be :(
But, as this is supposed to be a learning procedure, I will go through the motions, and will inform you once I open it as to what happened.
I once again followed Gavin Webber's recipe for Gouda, and as my culture used Flora Danica.
Here is the Gouda before I waxed it.
I put 1 layer of liquid wax coating on the cheese before waxing.
and here it is after my first attempt at waxing :)
I can't wait to see how this cheese turned out, and will share it with you here :)